ELCO’s extensive technical resources ensure that all cables will be designed to meet the exact needs of the customers. Our standard range of cables may contain a cable that will do the required job, but ELCO’s commitment is to ensure that a cable’s capabilities meet the precise requirements of the application and installation as well. This means that standard cables may need to be modified for optimum performance or have a new feature added - this is a normal part of ELCO Cables service.
ELCO’s technical support does not finish with the successful design and production of the cable. In addition, a comprehensive cable advisory service is also offered. Technical staff is available to assist in providing expert solutions to all types of cable problems and inquiries.
Information to be provided with enquiry or order
To provide the best technical service to our valued customers, and to make sure that the offered cables are the most appropriate for the intended applications, the following information should be given with an enquiry or order:
● the required design standard, if important;
● length of cable required and individual drum lengths, if important;
● voltage designation;
● number of cores;
● size of conductor;
● conductor material (i.e. copper or aluminium);
● type of conductor (i.e. stranded or solid, circular or shaped);
● whether cable is liable to be exposed to any potentially aggressive environments (e.g. water, oil or acid);
● type of armour, if required (i.e. wire armour or strip armour);
● other special conditions or specific requirements.
General Criteria for Cables Selection
It is of vital importance that the type of cable ordered is suitable for its intended use. It is essential to consider the specific system and installation conditions, relevant local regulations, and the performance characteristics of appropriate cable types to be able to select the right cable.
It is therefore impossible to provide a conclusive guide to cable selection, however, the following factors should be taken into account when selecting a suitable cable:
● Maximum operating voltage
● System frequency
● Insulation level
● Length of line
● Voltage drop
● Load characteristics, i.e. type, magnitude, duration, etc.
● Mode of installation, i.e. in air, in underground or in ducts, etc.
● Chemical and physical properties of soil
● National legislation and regulations
● Specific requirements to be met
We would advise you to contact our technical support team for our specialist advice on suitable designs to meet your specific cable needs.